Jason A. Duprat, Entrepreneur, Healthcare Practitioner and Host of the Healthcare Entrepreneur Academy podcast speaks with Maureen Metcalf, MBA, Founder and CEO of the Innovative Leadership Institute. In this episode, Maureen discusses the six competencies of leadership. She also shares her thoughts about what it takes to become a great leader and how to create a culture aligned with leadership goals.
- Maureen shares what it’s like growing up in a military household and how she started her own company.
- Good leaders should update and innovate how they lead – just like how we update and innovate how we work.
- Getting it right is more important than being right.
- Maureen talks about the six competencies that constitute being a good leader.
- For Maureen, being transparent and accountable is the right approach to leadership especially during the COVID pandemic.
- What two areas do leaders often get wrong and what can they do to improve?
- The core competency of leadership is empathy. Great leaders have a firm hand and an empathic heart.
- Maureen’s advice: Get results, have a vision, have a heart and care.
- Leaders are expected to guide. When building a new team, understand the kind of culture you want to create.
- Culture is the agreement we make on how we work together.
- How do you know if the culture you’re creating within your team aligns with your goals?
- As an award-winning author, Maureen explains the methodology behind the different versions of her books across different specialties.
- She also talks about her process for creating online courses and the key takeaways she gleaned.
- Maureen shares advice for anyone who’d like to create their own online course.
3 KEY POINTS
- A leader is someone who is transparent, accountable and reliable. Becoming a competent leader takes time and the only way to improve is to work on the key areas you lack.
- Creating a workplace culture is important especially when you’re trying to build a new team. Identify and understand what kind of culture you want to propagate and start from there.
- The core competency of leadership is empathy. Great leaders have a firm hand and an empathic heart. It’s not an either/or – it’s a both.
“Be the leader you’re able to be.” – Maureen Metcalf
“We all make bad decisions and bad hires. It’s knowing when to fix it and how to fix it.” – Maureen Metcalf
Maureen Metcalf on Linkedin – https://www.linkedin.com/in/maureenmetcalf
Innovative Leadership Fieldbook by Maureen Metcalf – https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Leadership-Fieldbook-Maureen-Metcalf/dp/145079176X
Innovative Leadership Institute website – https://www.innovativeleadershipinstitute.com/
#HealthcareEntrepreneurAcademy #healthcare #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #leadership #onlinecourses #onlinelearning