Jason A. Duprat, Entrepreneur, Healthcare Practitioner, and Host of the Healthcare Entrepreneur Academy podcast talks about standing orders and how to leverage them to run your practice. The most important factors to consider are being safe, practical, and state-compliant per your clinic’s location.
- Healthcare clinicians cannot autonomously evaluate patients and prescribe treatment plans. They need providers to write orders.
- When considering whether something is allowed, ethical, or safe, put yourself in the patient’s shoes – what would you want?
- Clinic owners who do not have access to in-house providers or who are not providers themselves have gotten in trouble for implementing standing orders when a patient wasn’t seen by a provider.
- Patients must be evaluated before giving orders to be safe and ethical.
- You can easily have a part-time provider who can utilize telemedicine to see patients.
- Providers need to verify what was ordered and ensure that it is appropriate within 24 hours so the patient doesn’t continuously get unnecessary treatment.
- The important thing to remember is don’t cut corners to maximize business. Always structure proper implementation for standing orders.
- Jason recommends the following resources: Board of Medicine, Board of Pharmacy, Board of Nursing, your scope of practice, and regulations.
- If you remain in doubt, hire an attorney.
3 KEY POINTS:
- Standing orders have to be safe, practical, and compliant within state regulatory guidelines.
- Having patients evaluated by a provider might cost a little more, but it’s the cost of doing business, and it’s the right thing to do.
- Instead of having a blanket standing order for every treatment available and then getting your clinic shut down, hire a part-time provider and do teleconsultations.
“Always remember to put yourself in the patient’s shoes.” – Jason Duprat
“Make sure the patient is actually getting evaluated for the treatment being provided.” – Jason Duprat
“Just because your practice is a business, it doesn’t mean you should cut corners wherever possible so you can maximize profits.” – Jason Duprat
Have a healthcare business question? Want to request a podcast topic? Text me 407-972-0084 and I’ll add you to my contacts. Occasionally, I’ll share important announcements and answer your questions as well. I’m excited to connect with you!
Do you enjoy our podcast? Leave a rating and review: https://lovethepodcast.com/hea
Don’t want to miss an episode? Subscribe and follow: https://followthepodcast.com/hea
#HealthcareEntrepreneurAcademy #healthcare #HealthcareBoss #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #podcast #standingorders #statecompliance #telemedicine